To achieve the optimal solution, energy efficiency projects require a broad array of expertise and services. In other words, a “total solution” is needed as opposed to simply the replacement of energy-consuming equipment and technologies. It also includes an in-depth understanding of applicable incentives and rebates, financing options and various cost-saving services. Without this broad-based approach, it’s often easier for decision makers to simply do nothing, and the wasted energy and reduced profitability continue.
The elements that make up a “total solution” for an energy efficiency project include:
- A thorough understanding of the needs of the client as well as the use of a facility.
- Up to date knowledge about all the various energy efficient equipment and technologies and determining the optimum replacement technology.
- Extensive knowledge of the various financing options, as well as rebates, incentives and tax considerations.
- Strong working relationship with qualified suppliers and contractors.
- In-depth financial analyses for the owners to make decisions based on bottom line impact
- Oversight once the project is approved in order to assure that it’s completed on time, within budget and with little disruption to the operations within the facility.
- A guarantee of savings to overcome skepticism.
Without a total solution business leaders or commercial property owners often resort to expensive repairs of outdated equipment, or simply accept their operation is inefficient and costly.
“When a total solution is provided it becomes easy for decision makers to move forward on energy efficiency projects.”
The Energy Alliance Group recently presented a total solution to the Star Lincoln Auto Dealership. The dealership was built in the early 1970’s and was in dire need of energy efficiency upgrades. The total solution included new lighting, replacing the heating and compressed air systems, high speed service doors and improvement to the building envelope. But most importantly, the solution included a financing option that eliminated the need for up front capital, and paid for all the upgrades through the resultant energy savings. This financing option was Property Assessed Clean Energy – PACE.
Upon review of the proposal that outlined a total solution to their waste of energy the decision makers simply said “This is a no brainer. There’s no reason NOT to do this!” In fact for every energy dollar saved, thirteen cents goes right to the bottom line (the rest pays for all project costs including financing). It’s more profitable for Star Lincoln to perform this extensive energy efficiency upgrade than to do nothing. (link to blog article)
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) the average commercial building wastes 30% of the energy they use. Energy inefficiency is a significant problem. The complexity of energy efficient solutions can be perceived as just another overwhelming task to already busy company executives or building owners. Overwhelm makes it easy to just do nothing! When energy efficiency experts provide a total solution, an executive’s decision is easy, projects get approved, energy is saved and profits increase!